With the takeover of Pinterest and DIY projects, exploration of unique recipes has become a household trend. Having experienced my share of cooking disasters, I can appreciate a DIY success. This morning, deciding to take a healthier approach to breakfast, I went to an old faithful, flourless banana pancakes. I got this recipe from Tia Mowry-Hardrict’s cooking show Tia Mowry at Home on the Cooking Channel. I tried it, loved it and have since left “Just Add Water” pancake mix on the shelf.
I have been staying away from dairy but had eggs in my frig and a taste for an omelette. I decided to try something new and use only egg whites; another task that I had failed on previously but thank God today I was successful. As I have been informed by a few friends, I am not the only one who has attempted an omelette that later turned into scrambled eggs. So I scrambled those bad boys up with spinach making lemonade out of lemons (not literally). I started my day on a high note and a full, nutrition-filled tummy.
Check out the recipes below. Once you try them out, comment on this post or email us at email@example.com with your results.
Scrambled Egg Whites
1/2 cup chopped spinach
2 mixing bowls
- Crack egg. Transfer egg yoke over a bowl, from one shell to the next until all of egg white contents are in the bowl. Place egg yoke in a separate bowl. Do the same for second egg.
- Place spinach in bowl with egg whites. Whisk until spinach is fully emerged in eggs.
- Place skillet on medium heat and spray with cooking oil.
- Pour the egg mixture into skillet. As eggs whiten, use a spatula to pull the ends from sticking to the skillet. Fold the eggs until cooked to your likeness.
1 cup oats
1/2 cup of Almond Milk (less or more to desired pancake batter thickness)
1 chopped banana
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Honey, for serving
- Whisk the two egg yokes left over from scrambled egg preparation.
- Add chopped banana and mash into egg yoke.
- Mix in vanilla extract. Refrigerate.
- Pulse oats in food processor or blender until like coarse flour.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking soda and pulse until fully mixed.
- Pour oats into banana/egg mixture.
- Add almond milk and mix to desired pancake batter thickness.
- Place butter/margarine in skillet at medium heat.
- Pour two scoops of batter into skillet to make two pancakes.
- Flip as edges become brown and repeat for remaining pancake batter.
- Drizzle with honey.
*Serving for one, as pictured above.