The 15th Annual BET Awards came and showed out. Anthony Anderson had us full of laughs as he dressed as Sam Smith and accepted the Best New Artist Award on his behalf. And we couldn’t help but chuckle at Tracee Ellis Ross’ Cookie Lyons rendition (Lucious, Lucious!).
Alicia Keys lended her voice and keys to The Weeknd to make “Earned It” a hot performance, and Tori Kelly slayed a tribute to Smokey Robinson with Robin Thicke and Ne-Yo. I predicted wrong, Nicki Minaj in all her cockiness won Female Hip Hop Artist for the sixth consecutive year, but she did give Dej Loaf her props who will be joining her on tour.
But all in all there were six top moments that left us in awe. And the winners are:
1. The 20 Year Bad Boy Anniversary Reunion, more specifically Lil’ Kim rising from the stage in her legendary Hardcore album cover pose and 112 giving us “Peaches n’ Cream.” Never mind Diddy falling into Kim’s floor opening. I hope he didn’t kick her in the head, “take that take that.”
2. Ciara looking like a spitting image of Janet Jackson during her dance tribute to the queen. I was talking to my dad while it was on and he actually thought it was Janet. With those flowing locks and Rhythm Nation precise moves I see why.
3. Smokey Robinson showing us that black don’t crack. His flawless skin and vocals are all the way intact. He’s recorded and written so many hits, receiving the Lifetime Achievement Award was well deserved.
4. Patti LaBelle joining Tamar Braxton and K. Michelle on stage. Three sets of “yes gawd” songstresses on one stage at one time don’t make no sense. Patti hit some notes I didn’t even know existed.
5. Chris Brown’s spin move at the end of his “Post to Be” performance with Omarion. He’s like I been working out ya’ll, watch me do a double 360 on em.
6. Chocolate Droppa (Kevin Hart) and T-Murda’s (Tracee Ellis Ross) freestyle battle. Need I say more?
I can’t leave out BET Music Matters performers Avery Wilson and Andra Day; two amazing vocalists who both have up next! If you missed it, check out some top performances below!!!
-Renée Nicole Gibson Twitter: disclosednative IG: ms_disclosednative