The 15th Annual BET Awards are this Sunday and there is a lot of talk about who will steal the stage. From a highly anticipated tribute to Janet Jackson featuring Ciara, Tinashe, and Jason Derulo to an exciting performance from the sizzling Empire cast, the music portion is guaranteed to be a hit.
Hosted by Tracee Ellis Ross aka T-Murda and Anthony Anderson, the show is sure to keep the funny on lock. And let’s not forget this is an awards show. The top celebs blasting the airwaves, the big and small screens, and the field or court are all up for nods and I have a feeling that there will be some upsets this year.
So let’s get into it. Here are the TOP 10 events we hope to entertain us during this Sunday’s broadcast. Be sure to tune in to BET 8/7c.
1. Tracee Ellis Ross and Anthony Anderson to have us in tears…of laughter! Every year funny hosts bring us something that has us talking for the years to follow like Will and Jada’s reenactment of Mr. and Mrs. Smith or Kevin Hart’s The Real Husbands of Hollywood that had such high reviews it granted him a spinoff. Tracee and Anthony have a chemistry on and off their Blackish sitcom that has us believing they’re a real couple (Anthony is happily married btw). I can’t wait to see what these two bring us in the comedy department.
2. The Janet Jackson Tribute! Since Janet came back to America (no shade), music fans have been boiling with excitement. I think most of us have always craved a Ciara/Janet dance off. Ci-Ci’s fans went ham on the 22-year-old pop phenom Tinashe for even being asked to share the stage with the princess of the Matrix move, but she’s here for it.
3. Omarion’s performance of “Post to Be.” I think that most of us can agree that this song has been the anthem of 2015. Jhene’s line, “gotta eat the booty like groceries” made it a club banger we will never forget. I just hope O brings his brother’s baby mama and Chris Brown on stage to make this performance complete.
4. Tori Kelly hitting the stage. I fell in love with the songstress’ voice after hearing her perform “Dear No One” on the Ellen show. I instantly downloaded her record and followed her on all social networks. I am glad to see the BET stage embrace this classic soul.
5. Allen Iverson! The NBA legend will be presenting an award, maybe for Sportsman of the Year? Whatever it is we are just glad to see him again.
6. An upset for Nicki Minaj. Ms. No Shade has won in the Best Female Hip Hop Artist category the last five consecutive years and with some major competition, I think she may have to relinquish her throne. All I know is Dej Loaf has taken over my radio and Azealia Banks and Timbaland’s new artist Tink have had a pretty good year too.
7. Tamar Braxton’s performance. I know I’ll get mixed opinions about this one but I am all the way here for Tamar…as a singer. Her album Love and War got her three Grammy nominations and rightfully so. Plus her latest single “If I Don’t Have You” is on heavy rotation on my playlist. Her stage performances are sometimesy but I’m hoping she delivers on Sunday.
8. J. Cole to win Best Male Hip Hop Artist. He and Kendrick both came hard on their latest projects but I’m hoping they show the Fayetteville, NC native some love this year. If we don’t support real hip hop, who will?
9. The outfits! Let’s be clear, the red carpet is where the turn up really begins. We all can’t wait to see who will hit and miss on fashion. Who will be wearing a pink gorilla suit or flying in on a spaceship this year?
10. Some good ol’ fun! It’s not often that black entertainers get the recognition that they deserve. We supporters are appreciative of the BET platform that highlights the individuals that entertain us!
-Renée Nicole Gibson Twitter: disclosednative IG: ms_disclosednative